Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Family Heirloom Project III

Pin It Now!
family heirloom project

Here is my newest installment of my Family Heirloom Project Series.  {see number 2 hereI am using heirlooms to tell the stories of my family and where they came from.  

There were a few different words that I looked into when deciding what to call the series.  I chose 'Heirloom' because {according to wikipedia}

"In popular usage, an heirloom is something, perhaps an antique or some kind of jewelry, that has been passed down for generations through family members."



This is by far the coolest story for an heirloom item that my family has so far.  I was at my Paternal Grandmother's house this weekend and decided to take some photos for the heirloom project. 

old man and old women wooden figurines

These wooden figurines were brought to the USA from my Grandmother's Grandfather {my Great Great Grandfather} Israel Golden that came to Detroit by way of Winnipeg, Canada  from Russia.  He carried these figurines over on the boat since they reminded him of his parents that he left in Russia. The story goes that he brought them all the way from Russia, but they are stamped 'Made in Canada'.  He may have purchased them upon arrival. 


To me, this figure looks more like it may have come from Russia.  He had several of these wooden figures.


You can see the size of the figures in this photo next to the cup.  These are the last two of the figures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...