Tuesday, September 11, 2012

What I was doing 11 short years ago

Pin It Now!
11 years ago I was a junior in college sitting in a 3 hour lecture that started at 8:30am.  The class was really a lab, so it was weird in the first place that the professor wanted to lecture.   We had a short break and hear rumors in the hall of something happening in New York.  I went to the computer lab (back in the dark days before PDA's and wi-fi) to check CNN to get the facts.  I remember trying to get the page to load over and over since it was moving really slow.    People started leaving classes and heading out the building a fog, but my professor wanted to keep lecturing.  Finally our dean came in and said that class was canceled for the day.  That was all he said "class is canceled for the day" and walked out.  I remember my own fog on the way home.  I was really nervous that there was going to be more things happening and chaos and tried frantically to get a hold of my brother who was also on campus.   (we DID have cell phones in those days).   I cried to my parents  and wanted to go home if the world was going to crumble.  The rest of the day was spent with the rest of my sorority sitting in front of the TV in a daze trying to figure out what this all meant. At night there was a vigil in the U of Michigan Diag and I remember feeling that things would be OK with everyone leaning on one another.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...