Monday, August 31, 2015

Pre-Teaching Art Walk

Pin It Now!
What better way to start out then school year than to take a walk of inspiration though the Detroit Institute of Arts.
I'm sharing some of my inspirations with you.


This is a great conversation piece and I love the quote by the sculptor Barry Flanagan.  I am going to post that in my classroom.  


My students are urban students and many may see a lot of the materials that I took photos of before.  
Some of these works using familiar materials may both speak to the students about art and also repel them.  That to me leads to a great discussion.  

 Using materials that are found or discarded is a way to make art wherever you are and whatever your budget. My professor John Rush told me to "make art with whatever I had." This also is what drives my art inspirations sometimes and I think that students can relate to that. 


This enormous piece of art is made entirely of cardboard.


My students are all students of color, so this work is a great way to get them to think about great works and how it can relate to people in any context.  

I think that this is a great way to start out every year, and hopefully the art department will make it a tradition!


1 comment:

  1. This clamoring square situated in the focal point of the island of Capri happens to be the heart of this destination. The bistros and bars make it a spot which is constantly swarmed with guests that appreciate viewing the distinctive sights. It is additionally known for its lively nightlife, so pull up a chair and spend a beautiful night here. Capri, for one

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...