Wednesday, April 10, 2013

7 Delicious Milk Makers for Mommas

Pin It Now!
7 lactation galactagouges

I wanted a natural way to increase milk production and I looked into different foods that I could eat or drink that were delicious. I  came up with this list of great things to add to your diet for nursing moms.  These items would also make great home-from-the-hospital gift baskets! 

{1} Oatmeal
Good Source of Iron. I love to eat oatmeal for breakfast with fruit, or you can make my granola for snacks.  

{2} Beer
Helps relax the Mom so you can letdown more easily  Also the barley and hops stimulates prolactin production. 

{3} Dark Greens
The minerals, vitamins, and phytoestrogen support prolactin production in greens. I love to make smoothies out of them or use them in cooking.  You can try my coconut kale rice.

{4} Black Licorice 
The anise in black licorice is a phytoestrogen.  Anise is also said to reduce colic in breast fed infants.  Not everyone is a black licorice fan, but I LOVE it (sadly, it contains wheat so I can't eat it anymore)

{5} Nuts & Seeds
Almonds, Cashews and sesame seeds are said to help produce breast milk.  They are also a great source of protein and minerals.

{6} Nursing Cookies
There are several brands of nursing cookies out there.  I LOVE the Yummy Mummy brand. Nursing cookies contain different herbs and foods that help stimulate milk production.  And seriously, who doesn't like cookies!

{7} Nursing Tea
Nursing tea is a great way to relax and drink some herbs that promote lactation.  They usually contain herbs like fennel, fenugreek, anise, raspberry leaf and nettles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...