Sunday, November 25, 2012

Upcycled Leggings DIY {Made from an old T-shirt}

Pin It Now!
Upcycled Leggings DIY Made from an old T-shirt
upcycled t-shirt baby leggings tutorial

I have so many t-shirts that I have been hoarding to do upcycled sewing with.  I finally had some time to play around and decided to make a pair of leggings for the new baby.  I made my own pattern and I am going to show you how quick and easy it is.  

MATERIALS
Pair of leggings that you want to use as a pattern
Cardboard or Butcher Paper for Pattern
Old T-Shirt with a color or pattern that you like 

leggings for creating a pattern

First place your leggings on your paper.  You will only need one leg for the pattern, so trace around up to the middle seam.  Leave and extra 1 inch at the top for the elastic and 1/4 inch sewing allowance all around the rest of the pattern. 

pattern for leggings

Label your pattern so that you can re-use it and write any instructions that you will need to duplicate it.  

pattern for leggings with t-shirt

Lay your pattern on top of the T-shirt and cut with the middle of the pants on your T-shirt side.  Repeat on the other side of your t-shirt so that when you open the fabric, you will have the front and back of your pants.  My secret so that you do not have to sew the bottom of the leggings is to use the bottom of the t-shirt's existing finish to give it a professional look.  

fabric for baby leggings

Open up your 2 cut pieces and pin the edges.  Iron if necessary. 


This part is best with a serger.  If you do not have a serger, get a double sewing needle or double stitch the hemline.  Serge the outer edges of the leggings and leave only the top seam open. 


Here is my beautiful serger finish! 


This is what your pants should look like when you finish with the serger.  I took my existing leggings to check to make sure that the size was the same and adjust if you need to for the top elastic band. 


Fold your pants inside out.  Now fold over your top seam so that you have just enough room for your elastic band. Mine is 1/2 inch elastic. 


Now take your sewing machine and sew almost all the way around leaving a 2 inch opening.  Pull your elastic band though.  You will want to cut it 1/2 inch shorter then the width of your pants.  Double stitch the elastic and finish sewing your waist band. 


Here is my finished Leggings!  Since I had the pattern on my shirt, it really made these simple leggings really special.  

Please share photos of your finished baby leggings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...