Monday, June 4, 2012

Summer Quick Berry Jam

Pin It Now!
toast and jam

I was in the mood for some Jam on my toast this morning and I don't have any jam!  I have made my own in the past and so I decided to make something with the fresh berries that I have in my fridge.

strawberry, lemon, sugar, blackberry
Ingredients
3 cups of berries
3/4 cup sugar
a squeeze of lemon
2 tbl finely ground flax seeds 
1/2 cup water


Add the berries, lemon, 1/2 cup sugar, and water to your pot and bring to a rapid boil.  (approx 5 minutes)


Once it is boiling and softening the fruits, you can mash them very easily (we like ours with a little chunky left) and add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.  Once it boils again, turn off the burner and let it settle in the pot.  You will then add the 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds.  The flax seeds will help to make everything jell.  Let it cool thoroughly before transferring to a glass jar or other container.  


This delicious jam does have sugar, but it is also packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber without any preservatives, coloring, or chemicals added. 

You can keep it in a container in the fridge (without canning it) for a few weeks, but it is so delicious, that it does not last very long in our house! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...